Family

Family
Me as a tall person

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lost with GPS

The last time my personal mechanic (friend who drives my car to work, fixes it, drives it to my house, gets a ride home from me) returned my car, he laughed at me and said "Anne: you have maps in your car!" I love gadgets: my iPod, my many computers, my wireless routers, my speakers, my Palm, my phone. He couldn't believe I didn't have a GPS navigator. I do get lost sometimes but it's usually when I leave the YahooMap at my desk. I am pretty good at getting places.

So I went to a meeting at the Stockton Hotel. It's in Stockton, NY doncha know? I got so lost, over and over. I stopped for directions twice and managed to get info from left/right dyslexics both times. I missed the food, which wasn't a big loss.

I bought a Garmin nuvi270. It was really cheap, as these things go. I wanted it before I did one of my frequent runs to 1166, code for my parents' old house. I flew to JFK and rented a lovely large SUV. Spent the afternoon and night with my brother and his kids, went to 1166 the next AM, loaded up the car with a couple of chairs, bowls, books, and a 50 lb concrete mushroom, and drove home. The Garmin wanted me to go on Route 17, which I have always hated, but since I couldn't figure out the other way to do it, I gave in and took 17 from Binghamton. It was much better than last time. I just couldn't remember how to get off it.

The Garmin took me into windmill land. I went north and then west on a road I would name "Seasonal", without shoulders or center lines. Those who have driven with me know I hate steep roads and wow these roads were steep. At the top, there was a lot of snow on the ground and there were about 100 high tech enormous windmills. (Does anyone know where the wind becomes electricity and where the power lines are?)

So I got home pretty fast, despite my 40 mph tour through the roughest land I have seen in western NY. I would like to let Garmin know that Telegraph Hill is not a good way to route someone making that trip, unless they are visiting the farm up there, but I now cannot find my route on a map.

I probably will never see 1166 again: the buyer will tear it down and landscape it. I wonder what happens to the $22,000/year property and school tax when the building is gone. The end of an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment